Updated: Mar 18
You may have come across some articles or claims that drinking lemon water is highly beneficial but is it really that good for you? Well I am here to tell you that ABSOLUTELY it is and you will see great benefits by adding this ritual to your daily routine. First of, drinking lemon water is an ancient remedy that has been used for hundreds of years by people around the world!
Now let’s get into some of the specifics of why drinking lemon water is beneficial:
- Stimulates gastric juices and improves digestion leading to less bloating, flatulence and heartburn (in most cases caused by low stomach acid contrary to popular belief)
- Stimulates bowel function leading to improvements in cases of constipation
- Cleanses and detoxifies the liver, while stimulating bile flow which helps to carry toxins out of the liver
- Improves skin health and may lead to a “glow” and decreased acne as skin health is highly linked to the health of the liver and the gut
- High in the antioxidant Vitamin C which assists with neutralizing free radicals in the body which could create cellular injury and disease, supports immune function, assists with formation and maintenance of collagen and wound healing
- Aids in making the body more alkaline – it has been shown that diseases thrive in a state of acidity (the opposite of alkaline) in the body thus making it important to focus your diet on alkaline foods, including lemons
How should you consume the lemon water?
- Drink the lemon water on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and wait at least 15-20 minutes before consuming any other food or beverage
- Fill a glass or a mason jar with 250-500 ml of warm water (ensure your water is not hot as it will kill some of the beneficial properties of the lemon) – a good practice is to fill up 2/3 of your glass with regular filtered water and fill the remaining 1/3 with freshly boiled water
- Cut lemon in half and squeeze juice of ½ lemon into the glass (there are many lemon juicing devices in stores that sell kitchen supplies)
- If you are concerned about tooth enamel, use a metal straw to consume the water
Tips to get the most out of your lemons:
- Select lemons that are a rich yellow in colour with a smooth and slightly glossy finish, avoiding lemons that are dark yellow or dull in colour
- Roll the lemon on the counter top for a few moments to allow for easier juicing
Are you looking to improve your digestion? Book a FREE Discovery Call with me to find out how I can help!